Mr. Owen was licensed to practice law in 1989. He worked for 21 years as a civil litigation attorney, and 8 years as General Counsel in the upstream oil and gas industry.
Mr. Owen has tried 47 cases to verdict, primarily in the area of insurance defense, with significant favorable results for his clients and customers in high exposure automobile accident and trucking cases, including the following:
- Defense of clear liability auto related brain injury case with exposure in excess of $2m. Mr. Owen obtained a zero verdict, after which the case was retried resulting in a verdict of $130,000.00.
- A no negligence verdict for both defendants against a negligent free passenger in a two-vehicle intersection collision.
- A no negligence verdict in in defense of a commercial truck repair business wherein faulty brake repairs allegedly caused a collision resulting in significant and permanent injuries.
Additionally, he has experience in handling commercial litigation matters from inception through trial, including general business contract disputes, title disputes among oil and gas property owners, business valuation disputes, fiduciary litigation, and NASD/FINRA disputes. Some of the more significant matters are as follows:
- Defense of title dispute over oil and gas properties alleging trespass, conversion, fraud and breach of contract. Plaintiff claimed damages of over $2.5m. The case was settled for $31,000.00, with plaintiff releasing all claims to ownership of the disputed properties.
- Defense of suit filed by co-tenant mineral interest owner against lessor alleging bad faith pooling, conversion, reservoir interference and fraud. Plaintiff dismissed his case shortly after his deposition was completed.
Mr. Owen has extensive experience as a corporate counsel in transactional matters involving the negotiation and execution of complex domestic and international oil and gas transactions, asset acquisition and divestiture, banking and financial relations, business formation and dissolution, litigation management, employment law matters, regulatory compliance functions, and commercial real estate transactions. Some of the significant accomplishments are listed below.
- Negotiation of international farm-out transaction involving the Government of Tunisia. Secured the agreement which removed client’s exposure and avoided a $24m future joint operation liability. Also obtained $6m in upfront payment to the partnership.
- Negotiation of agreement and drafting of documents to sell 40% of corporate assets.
- Negotiation of credit agreements with lender and drafting of related agreements. Assisted CEO and VP of Finance in transferring reserve based debt to a significantly more favorable lender.
- Defense of corporate balance sheet through negotiation and restructuring of major unsecured debt.
- Evaluation and negotiation of domestic and international transactions, purchase and sale agreements, corporate share purchase agreements, and drafting of related agreements.
- Management of compliance requirements and regulatory matters.
- Review of Master Service Agreements, Joint Operating Agreements, and other oil and gas related contracts.
- Corporate formation and dissolution.
- Litigation management of complex multi-million dollar oil and gas lawsuits.
- Hedging of oil and gas revenues.
Mr. Owen is married, with two daughters. He has served as board president for Crosspoint Community Church in Katy, TX, and as a board member for two non-profit organizations- LINC Houston and the Newspring Center for Entrepreneurial and Business Development.