Service – Strategy – Results
- Commercial Litigation (general commercial, oil and gas, construction)
- General Counsel Services/Transactional
- Insurance Defense
Mr. Owen was licensed to practice law in 1989. He worked for 21 years as a civil litigation attorney, and 8 years as General Counsel in the upstream oil and gas industry before joining Fahl & Donaldson in 2019, where he serves primarily as a commercial litigator on oil & gas, construction and first party insurance disputes. He also provides general counsel services across various industry sectors, including upstream oil & gas, construction, multi-site retailers and commercial real estate enterprises.
Mr. Owen has tried 47 jury trials to verdict, with significant favorable results for his clients and customers.
He has experience in commercial disputes from inception through trial, including general business contract disputes, title disputes among oil and gas property owners, construction defect litigation, first party insurance claims, business valuation disputes, fiduciary litigation, NASD/FINRA disputes, and insurance defense. Some of the more significant matters are as follows:
- Defense of title dispute over oil and gas properties alleging trespass, conversion, fraud, and breach of contract. Plaintiff claimed damages of over $2.5m. The case was settled for $31,000.00, with plaintiff releasing all claims to ownership of the disputed properties.
- Defense of suit filed by co-tenant mineral interest owner against lessor alleging bad faith pooling, conversion, reservoir interference and fraud. Plaintiff dismissed his case shortly after completion of its corporate rep deposition.
- Defense of clear liability brain injury case with exposure in excess of $2m. Mr. Owen obtained a zero verdict, after which the case was retried resulting in a verdict of $130,000.00.
Mr. Owen has extensive experience as a corporate counsel in transactional matters involving the negotiation and execution of complex domestic and international oil and gas transactions, asset acquisition and divestiture, banking and financial relations, business formation and dissolution, litigation management, employment law matters, regulatory compliance functions, and commercial real estate transactions. Some of the significant accomplishments are listed below.
- Negotiation of international farm-out transaction involving the Government of Tunisia. Secured the agreement which removed client's exposure and avoided a $24m future joint operation liability. Also obtained $6m in upfront payment to the partnership.
- Negotiation of agreement and drafting of documents to sell 40% of corporate assets.
- Negotiation of credit agreements with lender and drafting of related agreements. Assisted CEO and VP of Finance in transferring reserve based debt to a significantly more favorable lender.
- Defense of corporate balance sheet through negotiation and restructuring of major unsecured debt.
Mr. Owen is married, with two daughters. He has served as board president for Crosspoint Community Church in Katy, TX, and as a board member for two non-profit organizations- LINC Houston and the NewSpring Center for Entrepreneurial and Business Development.
- University of Houston College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 1989
- Texas, 1989
- Crosspoint Community Church
- LINC Houston
- Newspring Center for Entrepreneurial and Business Development
- Exclusive Furniture, LP
- CivilCorp, LLC
- Galloway Lone-Star, LLC
- Quantum Investment Group, Inc., General Counsel, 2011 to 2018
- Acosta, Soule, Baldwin and Fanaff , Senior Trial Attorney, 1997 to 2011
- Federal-So. Dist of Texas , Present